EU Human Rights and the Rule of Law
Respect for human rights and dignity, together with the principles of freedom, democracy, social equality and the rule of law, are values common to all European Union countries. They also guide the EU’s action both inside and outside its borders.
The EU also promotes Human Rights in NON-EU countries. Some of the EU work and support in this area includes:
- International Criminal Court, ratified by EU member states
- Promoting human rights and democratisation in third countries
- Fighting Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance
- Ban on Trade of Instruments of Torture
- Cooperation with indigenous peoples
- Human rights and relations in the Mediterranean
- The European Court of Human Rights (Non-EU institution but includes all EU Member States).